Historic Master Plan and Open Space
Lakewood Cemetery, established in 1871, is one of America’s most beautiful cemeteries in the “Lawn Plan” tradition. Recognizing the value of protecting Lakewood’s beauty while maintaining its existence as an active cemetery, the Board of Directors of Lakewood Cemetery set out to create a comprehensive Master Plan. The Master Plan, prepared by Halvorson | Tighe & Bond Studio, is built on solid historic research, visual analysis and market perspectives.
Working in collaboration with architects HGA, Halvorson created a new monumental landscape for the 143-year-old cemetery on axis with the site’s landmark Byzantine Chapel, including a new Garden Mausoleum that enhances the historic landscape with an elegant contemporary design.