PFAS Chemicals Added to the Toxics Release Inventory List
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) added 172 PFAS chemicals to the Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) reporting list effective for reporting year 2020. TRI applicable facilities that manufacture, process, or otherwise use greater than 100 pounds of any of the listed PFAS chemicals in 2020 will have to complete TRI reports for these PFAS chemicals prior to July 1, 2021. Additionally, PFAS chemicals will automatically be added to the list in future years.
PFAS Chemicals can be found in numerous products and applications including, but not limited to; firefighting foam, fire-resistant materials, food packaging materials, stain, and water-repellent fabrics, paints, polishes.
Which PFAS Chemicals are being added?
- Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), CAS# 335-67-1 – 0.1% de minimis level
- All other PFAS chemicals – 1% de minimis level
What Are the Next Steps for TRI Facilities?
- Check your chemical inventories to see if you manufacture, process, or otherwise use any of the listed PFAS chemicals starting January 1, 2020
- Track PFAS chemical usage and disposal amounts starting January 1, 2020
- Check the EPA’s website annually for updates
More information is available from the EPA.
If there are additional questions about this update or TRI reporting, please reach out to Doug Stellato, PE, TURP.