Marking one hundred years in business is a significant achievement by anyone's standards. This is especially true when that business is borne out of a humble beginning by an Irish immigrant who decided to launch his own engineering practice in Holyoke. Yet hard work, innovation and relationship building worked then, much the same as they do now.
Recently, we published a commemorative book that documents the history and development of Tighe & Bond, but here is some background on our original founders:
James L. Tighe was born on a farm in County Cavan, Ireland in 1864. He immigrated to the United States in 1887, and shortly thereafter entered McGill University in Canada to study civil and hydraulic engineering. After graduating in 1892, Tighe worked as an engineer for the Holyoke, Massachusetts Water Department, later becoming the city engineer. After his service with the city, Tighe entered private practice as a consulting engineer in 1911, setting up shop in downtown Holyoke. In the 1920s, Tighe was made an honorary member of the American Water Works Association, having one of longest terms of membership in the hierarchy of water supply experts.
Philip E. Bond joined Tighe's practice in 1926, and the firm became known as Tighe & Bond, Consulting Hydraulic, Sanitary and Municipal Engineers. Bond came to the job with 10 years of engineering experience. A Holyoke native, Bond graduated from the University of Michigan in 1916 with a Bachelor of Civil Engineering degree. Following graduation, his work took him to Flint, Michigan where he worked for the city on the design and construction of water filtration plants; and Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic for the Barahona Sugar Company, where he was in charge of water works design and construction. Bond was appointed city engineer of Holyoke in 1923 and held that position until 1938, even after he joined Tighe's practice.
Click on the image below to link to an online version of our recently published centennial book, Engineering a Century of Progress: The Evolution of Tighe & Bond.